Rights issues – Adults

If you are an adult with a question about human rights or rights issues, please use the form below to make sure your enquiry gets to the right team.

Concerned about a child?

A cartoon red siren from an emergency vehicle.

If you are concerned that a child may be at immediate risk of harm, please contact your local Social Work Department or Police Scotland (dialling 999 in an emergency) as a matter of urgency. The office is not able to investigate child protection concerns.  

Concerned about your employer?

Cartoon image of a golden whistle

If you are raising a concern about your employer or your workplace please vist our whistleblowing page for more information about what to do.   

The Commissioner’s role

Graphic of a green sign on a blue post stuck into a red circle with the text Human Rights in black with a white arrow underneath

The Commissioner’s role is to promote and safeguard the rights of children and young people in Scotland. This includes all children (up to the age of 18) and young people aged up to 21 who are, or have been, in care.  

In doing this, we have to balance and prioritise a wide range of competing issues, each of them important. We have to make sure we use our resources to best effect. This means we target our work towards children whose rights are most at risk. You can read more about our current priorities in our Strategic Plan 2024-28.  

In particular, when using our legal powers, we must ensure that we take up issues that have the most impact; for instance offer the opportunity to change the law, or drive significant policy or practice changes.  

Responding to concerns

Light blue, red and yellow speech boxes with white question marks in them

We cannot duplicate services or functions provided by other bodies.  

You can find a list of other organisations offering advice, advocacy and representation on our getting advice and links page. Please check it before contacting us; it is important that children and young people get help from the most appropriate source.  

If you need legal advice, please check the Scottish Legal Aid Board or Law Society of Scotland websites for information about how to contact a solicitor.  

If you want to make a complaint about a public body, please visit the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman’s website to find out how to raise and escalate a complaint, including the role of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.

Contact us

A cartoon boy holding a bird surrounded by speech bubbles and letters.

What will we do with the information you provide us?  

  • Understanding the range of issues faced by children and young people helps to inform our strategic decisions  
  • We can signpost to an organisation that may be able to offer more help and support   
  • We may seek more information from you if we think the issue engages the Commissioner’s legal powers  
  • Please note the Commissioner cannot provide you with legal advice.

When you message us we will use the personal information you provide to us to allow us to respond to you.

You can find out how we look after the personal information you provide us and what your rights are on our privacy page.

Contact form

Back to top