MSP briefing on petition PE01548: National guidance on restraint and seclusion in schools
20 April 2017
The Commissioner’s office and ENABLE Scotland have produced an MSP Briefing around petition PE01548: National Guidance on Restraint and Seclusion in Schools.
An evidence session with the Deputy First Minister is being held on the petition today.
About the briefing
The joint briefing covers:
- the lack of data around the extent of the use of restraint within special schools,
- a potential gap in protection for vulnerable children who attend special schools which are not registered care providers,
- what we believe guidance around restraint in Scottish special schools should look like,
- how we think guidance around restraint in Scottish special schools should be created,
- the need to provide teachers with the confidence and skills to recognise and meet the needs of all pupils, including those with complex additional support needs, and
- our concerns about the use of seclusion and isolation rooms on children with disabilities.
Read our briefing around petition PE01548.